History of the locomotive
141 TB 424 belongs to the 4401 - 4512 series on the East Railroad networks (Re-numbered 141 TB 401 to 512 during the creation of the SNCF (French railway organization in 1938). These locomotives were essentially built from 1911 till 1917 for the Parisian suburb network and also Vosges area. It is a tender locomotive able to drive in both directions at the speed of 90 kph.
During the Great War, 4400 were involved in delivering the forehead, in particular during the Verdun battle.
424 was mainly allocated in storage station of Noisy le Sec , La Villette and Nogent Vincennes. Some 141 TB were also on Lérouville line, to push freight trains uo to Loxéville.
After the last war, some emigrated on the former Alsace Lorraine network .
In 1958, some were equipped with the reversibility: the steam engine pushed the carriages, the driver used to stay alone whereas the mechanician was in the first carriage. These means enabled to save time in the Paris Est station by limiting the locomotives direction change, during the daily suburbian rush hours.
Most of the locomotives ended their life after the electrification of the suburb railways in 1962. Nevertheless about twenty of them, among whom 424, ran on Vincennes line until 1969.
Some were moved in the CFTA deposit of Provins to tow cereal trains with double drive until 1972. Besides 424, there is also 407 which was re-built by AJECTA organization in Paris region.
During the trip of the 424 up to Brittany, both locomotives found themselves under pressure in the deposit of Longueville in Seine et Marne.
La Vapeur du Trieux
La gare, avenue du général de Gaulle - 22500 Paimpol
Tél. 02 96 205 206
Fax. 02 96 55 18 76